Friday, November 2, 2012

How to Start an eBay Business - 10 Easy Tips


If you are thinking of selling either to bring in extra income or to start a business, eBay is a great way to do just that. What's so great about eBay is it leaves all the high cost and know how of marketing to eBay. You do pay a fee per sale. The reality is you would most likely spend that or more in marketing on your own site.
You can make $500 per month or $50,000 per month. There are many success stories out there. It depends on what you sell and how much you dedicate to your business.
I was introduced to eBay in 2005 thanks to my wonderful powerseller husband. I've been sewing since I was 15 and I love to create. I decided to purchase a used embroidery machine and create custom one of a kind clothes for my girls and make embroidered decor such as my embroidered pillows. This is my business today and I absolutely love what I do. I can honestly say, I have had great success with eBay. Between my husband and I, we could live off of our profits from eBay alone. It has certainly helped be available for my kids and work from home. I might not be crazy with eBay's constant rule changes but overall they have helped me become successful as an online business owner.
Here are some tips for helping you have a successful business on eBay.
1. Find a Niche
I recommend selling something you love. If you love to fish, sell fishing rods. If you love to sew, sell what you love to make. eBay is endless.
2. Research your niche
Research is key to starting any business and is an absolute must. Check out your competition. Is the competition's price worth what you are able to sell it for? When is the best time to sell to get top dollar? For example, I sell my girls' used (like new condition items) at auction from the middle of July to the first week of August. Why? Because this is peak season for Fall and Winter clothes. Moms are out buying school clothes for back to school. This time of year I'm likely to sell everything and sell it at top dollar. If I sold a set in May, I probably wouldn't receive any buyers.
3. Learn from your top sellers
What keywords do they use? How much do they sell weekly or daily? What price do they sell it for? Do they use bin (buy it now) or auction? If auction, what price do they start with? What information do they use in their description? Do they use one photo or several? Do they offer free shipping or a fee? Flat rate or calculated shipping? Do they sell worldwide or only in the US?
4.Purchase an inexpensive template
Buyers are more willing to buy from you if you look professional. You can purchase an inexpensive template on eBay to use in your listings. Most templates cost anywhere from $3 to $10. Most sellers of these templates will walk you through how to add it to your listings.
5. Obtaining a great Feedback score.
If you are new to eBay, I recommend purchasing several items so you can get your score over 10. Most buyers would prefer to spend a little more with an experienced top seller with 100% feedback than a new seller with a very low score. Important, always pay asap! This will guarantee positive feedback from the seller. If the seller does not leave you feedback after you receive the item, go ahead and send them feedback and then send them a message asking them to return the favor.
6. Good photos.
This is so important. They need to be clear photos with a plain background. If it is something you can lie down purchase a white and black foam poster board to lay your item on to take a photo. If it is something standing have a white background or purchase an inexpensive photo box from eBay. Please do not lay anything on your floor or bed.
7. Research every item before listing
This is so important, yet so many do not do this. Go to the top of the page and click on advance search. On the next page, type in your item in the title and scroll down to check "completed listings". Then submit. This will show you similar items, if they sold, and if they did, what they sold for in the last week. This will help you determine how much to sell your item for, and whether it is best to auction or sell as a BIN (buy it now) item. If you continue to sell similar items, eventually you won't have to do this step because you will already know.
8. Open a basic storefront.
When you start selling, down the road, I would recommend opening a basic store front with eBay. The basic plan is $15 per month. You can then keep your bin items in their for 30 days and have them automatically relisted for you. Again, you can purchase on eBay an inexpensive store front that matches or is similar to your template.
9. Keep a great feedback score!
Many new sellers don't know this but most sellers ship within 1 day unless it is a custom order. If you can, follow this rule! You will make your buyer happy and they will be more likely to give you positive feedback.
10. Do not overcharge shipping
eBay buyers see right through this. You can beat your competition but if you charge more than your competition, it will not sell. Most buyers add the shipping and the cost together before purchasing the item. All my custom orders are listed with free shipping. This not only avoids anyone thinking I'm over charging but also helps me in search rank.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
This site is meant to help those trying to create a home based business. There are so many ways to be successful so I will continue to discuss other ways as well in my blog.
Its essential to learn the valuable tools and skills needed to be successful online so please feel free to visit my blog for other tips and reviews on earning an income online.

No comments:

Post a Comment